Anyone can be affected by a mental health condition either themselves or a family member, friend or colleague.
This awareness course is suitable for everyone as it provides learners with the knowledge to recognise a suspected mental health condition and the skills to start a conversation and be able to signpost a person towards professional help.
- Define mental health
- Indicate understanding of the stigma surrounding mental health
- Identify factors that can affect a person’s mental health
- Understand the role of a First Aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a mental health condition
- Outline the advice that should be provided to a person suffering from a suspected mental health condition
- Know when to contact the emergency services in respect of first aid for mental health
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Identify signs of stress
- State how stress can be managed
- Identify signs and symptoms of the following
- Eating disorders
- Self Harm